Home For The Heavies
Bomber Command Museum of Canada Museum Expansion Project
- The Nanton Lancaster Society was formed 28 years ago with the goals of honouring the Canadian contribution to Bomber Command and the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.
- The museum was significantly expanded in 1997 and again in 2007.
- The current 37,000 square foot facility displays thirteen aircraft and associated interpretive displays, artwork, and military vehicles. The museum also includes a library, archives, and restoration shops.
- The museum has gained both national and international recognition as a leader in commemorating the efforts and sacrifice of those who served with Bomber Command during WW II.
- The museum has evolved into a facility that restores aircraft to runable-taxiable status. This ability is being constrained by extremely limited tarmac space and the lack of a suitable, designated area from which visitors may observe the aircraft.
- Additional aircraft are being acquired and restored. As these efforts progress, particularly when aircraft are assembled with wings attached, we require additional display space for them.
- Expanded areas are required to accommodate our future development and special events.
- The Society is proposing to build a 33,600 square foot hangar facility immediately northwest of the existing facility with an adjacent 56,700 square foot tarmac/parking area.
- As well as a large open area for aircraft display and special events, the building will include additional interpretive display areas, an aviation art gallery/lounge, a theatre, meeting room, kitchen and food preparation facilities, washrooms, restoration shop, and storage area.
- This portion of the museum will be utilized to host major community events.
- The Lancaster will be permanently hangared in the new building and, as one of the Town’s icons, will serve as a backdrop for the events.
Museum Expansion Project Donation Options
|Pilot Officer $100 or more||Wing Commander $5000 or more|
|Flying Officer $250 or more||Group Captain $25,000 or more|
|Flight Lieutenant $500 or more||Air Vice Marshal $50,000 or more|
|Squadron Leader $1000 or more||Air Chief Marshal $100,000 or more|
Expansion Project Donors Board