The Allison V-1710 was the only American built, liquid-cooled engine to see service during WW II. Originally developed to power dirigibles, the design was modified in 1935 for use in aircraft. It proved to be sturdy and reliable although its performance at high altitude limited its combat usefulness. Turbo-superchargers were added to a few engines, in particular those used on the Lockheed P-38.
Allison V-1710’s were used to power the Lockheed P-38, Bell P-39 Aircobra, P-63 Kingcobra, Curtis P-40 Warhawk and early versions of the P-51 Mustang. The engine on display is the port engine from a P-38. Turbo-supercharged, it developed 1475 h.p.
|Manufactured by:||Allison Division (G.M.C.)|
|Power:||1250 h.p. @ 3200 r.p.m.|
|Cylinders:||V-12; liquid cooled|
|Displacement:||1710 cu. in.|