We're currently closed.We're open again on Saturday (September 21, 2019) from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm

No. 432 (Leaside) Squadron

Commanding Officers

W/C H. Kerby: 1 May 1943 – 29 July 1943
(KIA)W/C W. McKay: 30 July 1943 – 30 May 1944
W/C J. MacDonald: 31 May 1944 – 25 July 1944 (Evaded Capture)
W/C A. Lowe: 26 July 1944 – 28 September 1944
W/C J. MacDonald: 29 September 1944 – 28 January 1945
S/L H. Minhinnick: 29 January 1945 – 27 February 1945
W/C K. France: 28 February 1945 – 15 May 1945

432 Squadron was formed at Skipton-on-Swale on 1st May, 1943. The squadron crest displays a cougar leaping down in front of a full moon, symbolizing the many night-bombing operations and the fight for the “light of freedom against the darkness of oppression.” Beneath the crest sits the motto “Saeviter ad lucem.” (“Ferociously towards the light”)

Flying as part of No. 6 (R.C.A.F.) Group, the unit was initially equipped with the Wellington bomber. The aircraft code “QO” signified the plane belonged to 432 Squadron. In September of 1943, East Moor became the new base for the unit. A month later, the group began to convert to the Lancaster. In February, 1944, the Halifax replaced the Lancaster as the squadron’s aircraft. The Halifax served the unit for the remainder of the Second World War. The last operational mission occurred on 25th April, 1945, when 19 Halifaxes bombed gun batteries on the island of Wangerooge. Among the 144 decorations awarded to the aircrew were over a hundred Distinguished Flying Crosses.

432 Squadron Royal Canadian Air Force.
432 Squadron Halifax
432 Squadron Lancaster
Close Menu
×
×

Cart