W/C H. Carscallen: 1 January 1943 – 16 April 1943
W/C G. Roy: 17 April 1943 – 2 October 1943
W/C A. Martin: 18 December 1943 – 21 January 1944
(KIA)W/C J. Blane: 27 January 1944 – 28 July 1944
(KIA)W/C G. Roy: 15 August 1944 – 9 October 1944
(POW)W/C C. Marshall: 19 October 1944 – 26 March 1945
W/C R. Norris: 27 March 1945 – 30 September 1945
No. 424 Squadron was adopted by the City of Hamilton, Ontario, so they designed their squadron crest with a tiger’s head in reference to the rugby team, the Hamilton Wildcats. Under the tiger, the motto reads “Castigandos castigamus,” or “We chastise those who deserve to be chastised.” Based at Topcliffe, “Tiger” Squadron was formed on 15th October, 1942. Originally part of No. 4 Group, 424 Squadron joined No. 6 (R.C.A.F.) Group in January of 1943. A few months later the unit was transferred to Leeming, and then Dalton for a brief time. From Dalton the squadron moved to Beaufarik in North Africa from May to October in 1943 to attack targets in Sicily and Italy. Over the summer, 424 Squadron was also stationed at Kairouan/Zina and Hani East L.G. before returning to Britain. On their return to the United Kingdom, 424 Squadron was stationed at Skipton-on-Swale and remained there for the rest of the war.
Initially, the Wellington was the aircraft operated by the squadron. Bombers marked with “QB” were with 424 Squadron. It wasn’t until 1943 when the unit returned from North Africa that they converted to Halifax bombers. For the last three months of operations, the Lancaster was used.