Home  |   Museum  |   Bomber Command  |   Lancaster  |   Bombers  |   BCATP  |   Collection  |   Art  |   Chronicles  |   Memorials  |   Projects

Bomber Command
No. 6 Group and the Canadian Squadrons


Formed at Dalton on 7th November, 1942, 428 "Ghost" Squadron became a unit of No. 4 Group. On 1st January, 1943, the squadron was transferred to No. 6 (R.C.A.F.) Group, serving with the Canadian Group until 25th April, 1945. The aircrew flew Wellingtons from the formation of the squadron until June of 1943, at which time the unit was moved to Middleton St. George. The Halifax replaced the Wellington as the bomber used by the group for a year. In June of 1944, the squadron began using the Lancaster for operations, and continued using them until the conclusion of the European War. Over the course of operations, over 9,500 tons of bombs and mines were dropped/laid on 283 separate operations. An aircraft coded with "NA" was part of 428 Squadron.

The squadron crest features a human skull sits within a shroud. The motto, "Usque ad finem" ("To the very end") is written beneath. The nickname "Ghost" came from the numerous hours of night-bombing that the squadron carried out. About 200 decorations for valour were awarded to the aircrew of 428 Squadron during World War II.




428 Squadron Royal Canadian Air Force. (1943)



428 Squadron Lancaster




Bomber Command Museum of Canada