No. 6 Group and the Canadian Squadrons
Named after the first commanding officer of the squadron, Wing Commander John "Moose" Fulton, 419 Squadron was formed at Mildenhall on 15th December, 1941. The motto, written in Cree rather than Latin, reads "Moosa Aswayita." A "ferocious fighter," the moose in the centre of the squadron crest symbolizes the Canadian background of both the squadron and Wing Commander John Fulton. 419 Squadron was transferred to No. 6 (R.C.A.F.) Group on 1 January, 1943, moving to various bases throughout the war. From Mildenhall, the unit moved to Leeming, Topcliffe, and Croft until finally relocating to Middleton St. George in November, 1942.
Initially operating Wellington bombers, 419 Squadron later converted to Halifaxes and then Lancasters for the remainder of operations. In a period of just over three years the squadron carried out 400 missions involving 4325 sorties, and dropped "well over 14,000 tons" of bombs. The squadron code "VR" indicated the plane was with this unit.
Canadian Pilot Officer Andrew Mynarski, one of only sixteen servicemen awarded the Victoria Cross during the Second World War, belonged to 419 Squadron. Among the aircrew, 194 service awards were distributed, including Mynarski's Victoria Cross. 419 Squadron became one of the most decorated R.C.A.F. units during the war.