Home  |   Museum  |   Bomber Command  |   Lancaster  |   Bombers  |   BCATP  |   Collection  |   Art  |   Chronicles  |   Memorials  |   Projects

Nose Art
Nose Art Replica Paintings





On 19 September 1940, No. 71 Squadron RAF was formed at Church Fenton as the first "Eagle" Squadron to be manned by American personnel. This, of course, was well over a year before the United States entered World War II. No. 71 received Hurricane fighters in November. It became operational on 5 February 1941 and was assigned to defensive duties. The squadron converted to Spitfires in August and then began taking part in sweeps over northern France. On 29 September 1942, No. 71 Squadron was transferred to the 4th Pursuit Group, US Army Air Force as the 334th Pursuit Squadron and ceased to be an RAF unit. The Eagle Squadron crest was designed by Walt Disney artists and is still in use today. It is considered one of the best of all the Disney designs.





Bomber Command Museum of Canada