Home  |   Museum  |   Bomber Command  |   Lancaster  |   Bombers  |   BCATP  |   Collection  |   Art  |   Chronicles  |   Memorials  |   Projects

Aircraft Engines in the Collection




Developed in the United States in 1937, this engine was first used to power large pre-war flying boats such as the Boeing 314 "Clipper."

However, the engine is best known for providing the power for smaller WW II aircraft, the best known of which is the Grumman TBF Avenger torpedo bomber.

The engine was also used in the B-25 Mitchell Bomber, Martin Baltimore, Martin Mariner, Vultee Vengeance, and Lockheed C-56 Lodestar cargo aircraft.



Specifications
Manufactured by:
Power:
Cylinders:
Displacement:
Weight:
First manufactured:
Curtis-Wright Company
1800 h.p. @ 2300 r.p.m.
14 (2 rows of 7); radial; aircooled
2603 cu. In.
1950 pounds
1937




Bomber Command Museum of Canada