British Commonwealth Air Training Plan
BCATP Schools and Facilities in Alberta
#34 SFTS opened in Medicine Hat on the site of the Medicine Hat Exhibition and Stampede Grounds south-east of town. It began operation as a Royal Air Force school on April 8, 1941. Auxiliary facilities were established at Holsom County Road (paved runways) and in the District of Whitla (grass runways). The aircraft used included Avro Ansons, Oxfords and Harvards. Over 2000 airmen were trained at the school and 48 airmen were killed flying from the station. The school closed November 17, 1944. Today the site is the Medicine Hat Municipal Airport.
A very comprehensive history of the school has been written by David J. Carter. His book, "Prairie Wings" provides background the operations of the BCATP in Canada as well as a detailed summary of the early history of flying in Medicine Hat and #34 SFTS.